Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Off to Dr. Schrader I Go

The phone tag begins. First of all I called Children's Ortho to find out if they would even see me, seen as I was not quite a child. I wasn't sure if I had to see him at Northside or what the deal was. After being put on hold, and transferred to a few other ladies, I was told I was good to go to see him at Children's Orthopaedic of Atlanta (they even had an Alpharetta location!). I was then transferred to Yolanda, where I left a voicemail. Later that week Yolanda called me back, of course, while I was in class, and left me a voicemail; then, I called her back... left a her a voicemail... it was chaos. Finally, after talking to her phone to phone I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Schrader over Thanksgiving Break... the only time I had off from school.
After all of that I and finally making an appointment I get told that Dr. Schrader ISN'T covered by my insurance! It'll be $250 to see him... uhhg. I guess I have no choice.
A week goes by and I find out that in December, just a month from the appointment I had made, Dr. Schrader WILL be taking my insurance!! Thank the LORD! (BCBS). Back to the phone to reschedule.
Because of my School Schedule and my broken voicemail box, my mum offered to help me out and gave his office a call. Of course, when my mum called she spoke to a lady that told her I was too old to be seen at this office and that I must have it wrong.... don't you just love miscommunication!
I spoke to my mum later that week and informed her that I had spoke to Yolanda, Dr. Schrader's nurse, and she say it was ok, that other lady must have been wrong. Long story short, I got in touch with Yoldanda myself and made I final appointment for Dec. 22nd 2010.
The visit to Dr. Schrader was fairly uneventful... my mum came with me and I felt like the biggest kid in the room. After waiting about an hour we were taken back to talk to Dr. Schrader. He looked at my xrays and confirmed that Dr. Whelan was correct in his diagnosis, Hip Dysplasia. I was sent back for more xrays, then he showed me on his computer where my dysplasia was and how significant it was (I can't remember what the exact degrees were), along with blog sites that I can go to for support and questions about this procedure. We discussed my options and it appears a PAO is the best way to go and here is where I stand today.
My surgery will be set for this summer, just after graduation. Happy Graduation to ME! Now all I have to do is get a call from Yolanda and see when and where I need to schedule my arthrogram MRI. She called me Monday... but of course my phone was missing all day. But most importantly... make sure my insurance company will pay for this surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment