Tuesday, May 31, 2011

It's Time!

I never thought this day would actually come! 6 months of watching and waiting has made it very surreal. 
So those of you that have not been following, I have hip dysplasia; Hip dysplasia is a condition affecting the hip socket (acetabulum), and the thighbone (femur). In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. In congenital hip dysplasia, the incorrect development of the acetabulum causes the femoral head to ride upward out of the socket. If this isn't corrected, the hip joint will be unstable and over the years, the cartilage in the joint will wear down prematurely and unevenly. 
To correct my hip dysplasia, I am going to have what is called a Periacetabular Osteotomy, or PAO. Using a series of cuts, the surgeon will separate my acetabulum from my pelvis (on my left hip). The surgeon can then rotate the acetabulum into a better position to cover the femoral head. This surgery generally takes 4 to 5 hours depending on whether additional procedures are performed at the same time. Research suggests that a PAO can halt the destruction of the joint or prolong the use of the joint for those in early adulthood, postponing the need for a total hip replacement (THR).
Anyway, I hope that helps! If you would like to know anything more, to the right of my blog are links to websites, other PAO blogs, and a video. 
My Surgery is at 10am, so I have to be there at 8am, so we are leaving at 7am! So expect me to be out of surgery around 2pm! 
I will have my little sister update how I'm doing and what room I am in at Northside Hospital. 
Bye for now!!
I wish everyone good luck on their PAO surgeries!! 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Kailey! We'll be thinking about you!!! Chel.

    ReplyDelete